Sunday, May 6, 2012

Week ending May 5, 2012


I missed writing last week.  Life got too busy and I didn’t find the time to do it.  It seems like so long ago that I am not sure I will remember all that happened to make it so busy.  The office is much more demanding of our time and alertness than the archive was.  There is so much to learn and Sister Wallace was in and out all week because of a tooth problem.  She saw six or seven dentists in less than two weeks’ time.  With their health system, you do not have one dentist that you see.  The dentist that is on call or not busy is the one you go to and she had to keep going to the dentist.  She also spoke to a couple of the Elders here who had been dentists at home. 

We went to Galashiels with her on Saturday to take some of her things home.  She was the one that is from Scotland serving a six month mission to replace a sister who went home early.  This was the second time she had filled in.  We offered to help her take some of her things home.  We went and saw Melrose Abbey near her home while we were there.

This week started with Elders and a Sister arriving from Ireland on Monday evening.   We had a farewell dinner for the two office sisters, a senior couple, and a birthday party for Bill and I and a couple of other missionaries with all of the senior couples in this area on Monday night.  The other departing missionaries came in on Tuesday morning to spend their last time in the Mission Home before going home Wednesday morning.  Tuesday night we helped with a farewell dinner for all of the missionaries going home and those parents who had come to pick up their sons.  There were over thirty people in attendance at the meal.  It reminded me of the holidays in Wayan.

Early Wednesday morning the missionaries left and around two in the afternoon the new ones arrived from the MTC in Provo, and yes Adell, I met Elder Brown.  We had a dinner for them Wednesday night and then they went to different places to spend the night.  We had two stay with us.

Thursday was spent getting them trained, interviewed, and set up with their companion.  This involved another lunch.  Most left Thursday night for their areas except those going to Ireland, they left Friday morning before we got to work. 

After transfers the work for us really begins.  We have to set up new address sheets, update the presidents’ boards with pictures, send out letters to bishops and stake presidents informing them of the new missionaries in their area, send letters to the parents of newly arriving missionaries, and the normal stuff we do every day.  So we put in lot of extra hours this week.  It was all worth it.  I felt the spirit guiding me many times with things I needed to do, inspiration on how to do things, etc.  I am feeling a little more comfortable each day.

Saturday began with a phone call from Amy telling me she was in the hospital, her water had broken, and Ava was on her way to being born.  She had called Julie and her family was on their way to Pocatello so Julie could be there for her.  How I wished it could have been me. 

We had plans, thank goodness, to spend the day with another couple, the Hambelton’s from Meridian, to show them the Abbey we had visited for a short time last Saturday and then another Abbey not far from there and then an early dinner afterwards.  That made the day go by faster instead of staying home waiting for news. 

Saturday evening arrived and Ava still had not made her appearance.  It was an anxious time for me with all that was happening so far from me and Bill at a Stake Priesthood meeting.  Finally at 10:00 I headed to bed knowing it would still be a while.  I got a one ring signal on our cell phone to let me know to go on Skype and call--Ava had arrived.  Amy and Ava were doing well.  After Ava had her bath and the pediatrician had been in I got to see her.  She is beautiful.  She is healthy and was sleeping peacefully.  Amy and Khalil were relaxing after their ordeal and waiting for the midnight feeding before they got to go to sleep.  Many prayers were offered and answered and the baby and mom are both doing well.  Amy will fill you in on the details I have left out.

If I had known in April what was going to happen this year, I don’t think I would have chosen to serve a mission at this time.  But I still am glad I am serving.   I know we have been truly blessed.  I can’t wait to meet all these new members of our family and get to know them.  Thanksgiving and Christmas will be wonderful having all together again.  Heavenly Father is truly blessing me. Thanks to all who are stepping in to fill my spot.  Families are fantastic.  I love you all so much.  God is at the helm and is directing our lives if we but listen to the Holy Ghost and follow His plan for us.  I know the Gospel is true and that Jesus Christ gave His life so we can return to Him as families.  I picture our parents saying goodbye to these children as they leave their Heavenly Home to come to us, telling them what a fantastic family they are coming to and that they will be loved and cared for and taught the Gospel here.  I Know Heavenly Father loves them very much and chose the best homes for them to be placed in.  Know that we love you so much and pray for you daily.  Be kind to one another and continue to reach out and support each other. 

Love,

Grandma and Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment