Sunday, May 20, 2012

Week ending 20 May 2012

I am going to start with the miracles that occurred this week.  One morning Elder Graham was responsible for the devotional.  He turned to the back cover of the May Ensign to the picture of the Garden Tomb. 


 His opening statement was, “What would have happened if the stone had not moved away and the tomb had not opened.”  He then went on to talk about the miracle that had happened that day.  He made the statement that Jesus was either whom He said He was which is “The Son of God”, the one chosen to give His life for all of us so we can have eternal life by taking on all of our sins in the Garden and then being allowed to be crucified on the cross, or He is the biggest best liar that there ever has been.  He has deceived the whole Christian world into believing that.  He said more but that is the part that stuck with me.  That night as I was saying my prayer I was reviewing the day and I was hit with such a powerful witness that Christ is who He says He is and that He died for me personally.  I am so grateful for my testimony of Christ and the Atonement and the part it plays in my own life.    Hope each of you has or will receive your own testimony of the divinity of Christ.

The next thing that happened was told to me by Sister Graham and so I do not have all the details.  Sister Griffiths called her and said that the lady who said she would do dinner for Zone Conference in Ireland had cancelled out.  So she needed Sister Graham to call Subway and order sandwiches. Sister Graham was having difficulty getting through to Subway and so she called the Zone Leader up there and asked him if he would go and order them and see if he could get a deal of some kind for that large of order.  They went there and placed the order instead of calling because he also could not understand over the phone.  As he was leaving the shop, a man stopped him and asked if he was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  He had just moved there and had met the missionaries where he had been living and so he had been looking for the Church and had not found it.  The Elders now have someone to teach because someone cancelled their catering assignment, Sister Graham couldn’t get the order placed over the phone, and they went to Subway in person to place the order.

We were left to mind the office alone most of Thursday and all of Friday.  President and Sister Griffiths and the Assistants were in Ireland for Zone Conference and Elder and Sister Graham went with the released sisters we replaced to sight see and ride an old fashioned steam train in the northern part of Scotland.  So we were left in charge and it was a miracle that for the most part we were able to do ok.  I called Sister Graham once about a reimbursement that an Elder was not sure he had already turned in and been paid for, and Elder Graham was called on an accident to a car bumper and how to handle it.  Also just as we were getting ready to leave Friday afternoon the security system alarm went off and we had to call to find out how to handle that.  So all in all we got lots done and felt good about our efforts on our own with Heavenly Father’s help.

It had been a cold rainy week all week and so it looked like Saturday was going to be the same.  We were ready to just stay home, clean and relax.  But Saturday morning it was cloudy and not raining and it sounded like that would be the case all day.  So about 11:00 we took off to see the palace in Falkland, which is about 40 miles away.  As you can see, it turned out to be a beautiful sunshiny day after all and was warmer then expected.

 The palace was fixed up in the 1500’s by King James.  It was to be their hunting lodge/palace.  Unfortunately it was burned by the forces of Robert Cromwell in the 1600’s and started to fall into ruins. 
The Keeper, or caretakers section had been fixed up in the 1800’s.   It was fully furnished and has a Keeper as a caretaker to this day.  His “apartments” are furnished with both 18th century and more modern day furnishings mixed together.  It’s really interesting. 

Falkland also has the oldest tennis court in the United Kingdom.  We saw the court where “Royal” Tennis began and is the only Royal Tennis court of its’ kind and age still in existence. Royal tennis is much different than the tennis we see played today.  They actually use the roof over the spectator area to play the ball off of, and they can play with the ball even if it bounces a few times.


The Royal Gardens were also wonderful to wander in.

The next stop of the day was at a Tea Room where we enjoyed Scotch Broth with Soda Bread followed by Strawberry rhubarb tart for Bill and I had Strawberry Meringue with cream and ice cream.  All was delicious.

Today we enjoyed our Sunday at Falkirk.  We were again invited to Sister McFeat’s home next Saturday on our way back from doing flat inspections.  Sister Davies offered to put names on the Temple list for us when she goes to the temple this week and also is making us an afghan in our favorite colors.  She calls it a crocheted blanket.  We are getting better acquainted and love the branch members.  They are making us feel at home there.

This evening we will be attending a Standards Evening for the Youth, youth leaders, and parents.  It is hard to have to stay indoors today because we are again having a beautiful day with lots of sunshine.  It sounds like we may get a week of such weather.  I hope so.

I will be thinking of you and your adventure in Wayan this weekend for Memorial Day.  My how I wish I could be in many spots at once.  I love and appreciate my parents and grandparents so much for the heritage they gave me.  May I be able to do the same for all of you.

The knowledge that I have of My Savior and what He has done for me and all of you and being able to say as Nephi did,  “I, Julia, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father”.  I love the gospel, I love my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,  I am grateful that I grew up in a home  where the Priesthood was held by my father and my parents loved us and cared for us.  I am glad I grew up in Grays Lake, Idaho, USA and had the freedoms, friends, and education that the church, school, and country provided.  I never realized how blessed I am until I have visit other parts of our world and lived here.  Be grateful for all that you have.  Know that I love you so much and pray for you daily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment